As a grassroots level non-governmental and non-profit organisation, we have been monitoring the current health crisis. The Prime Minister announced that those who are fully vaccinated may cross state borders beginning 11th October 2021.
We would like to highlight the following points and encourage your ongoing involvement in our programmes during this challenging time:
1. Pakcik Wazel, our Project Assistant from Kg. Pasir Gajah, Kemaman, is taking care of 470 river terrapins. These are hatchlings that emerged in May-June 2020 and 2021. He is responsible for doing a complete water change and feeding the terrapins daily. He is doing his best to cope with his responsibilities without help from our interns.
2. Our Turtle Gallery and the Terrapin Conservation Centre in Kg. Pasir Gajah, Kemaman, will remain closed to visitors until the end of 2021. You may follow our updates on Facebook (Turtle Conservation Society of Malaysia), Instagram (@TCSMalaysia) and Twitter (@TCSMsia). You may also sign up for our newsletters.
3. All our in-person educational programmes, i.e. Turtle Camps for primary school students and Turtle Awareness Programmes for secondary school students are put on hold. We have been hosting numerous public and private virtual tours so if you’re keen to join us, please sign up soon (before we are closed for the season).
4. Our fundraising activities are affected by this pandemic. We probably will not be able to host anymore nature/turtle discovery trips this year. We’re hoping we could see you in March 2022!
5. Our online shop is still operational, and we are working hard (in spite of the circumstances) to bring you new terrapin-inspired merchandise. In May 2021, we even opened a Shopee store in our attempt to reach out to a wider audience.
6. You can also help us by making a tax-deductible occurring donation to support our conservation efforts. No amount is too little, and your financial support is greatly appreciated.
Here’s how you can help:
Sponsor a bag of pellets
Each 20 kg bag of pellets costs RM70, and with 200+ terrapins, we finish a bag in about 2 weeks. That means we’ll need to generate RM140 a month for terrapin feed.
Shop with us
Each time you shop with us, you will be directly empowering the ladies in the local communities to continue earning an income to support their families.
Adopt a terrapin
Each symbolic terrapin adoption costs only RM35, and it will help us sustain the conservation project. From this RM35, RM5/egg is paid out as an incentive to our project assistants, and RM30 will be spent on purchasing a microchip for individual terrapin identification.