As a grassroots level non-governmental and non-profit organisation, we have been monitoring the current health crisis. In fact, the Malaysian government is enforcing a Movement Control Order (MCO) in the country from 18th March until 12th May 2020.
We would like to highlight the following points and encourage your ongoing involvement in our programmes during this challenging time:
1. Pakcik Wazel, our Project Assistant from Kg. Pasir Gajah, Kemaman, is taking care of more than 700 river terrapins. He is responsible for doing a complete water change and feeding the terrapins daily. He is doing his best to cope with his responsibilities without help from our interns.
2. Our Terrapin Release, initially scheduled on 21st March 2020, is postponed indefinitely.
3. Our Turtle Gallery and the Terrapin Conservation Centre in Kg. Pasir Gajah, Kemaman, are closed to visitors. You may follow our updates on Facebook (Turtle Conservation Society of Malaysia), Instagram (@TCSMalaysia) and Twitter (@TCSMsia). You may also sign up for our newsletters.
4. All our educational programmes, i.e. Turtle Camps for primary school students and Turtle Awareness Programmes for secondary school students are put on hold.
5. Our fundraising activities are affected by this pandemic. We probably will not be able to host anymore nature/turtle discovery trips this year, and that will significantly affect our revenue and operations.
6. The local communities are potentially the hardest hit. Most men would be out of jobs by now because they were odd-job workers. Ladies who run hawker stalls aren’t allowed to operate. All non-essential businesses in the local communities have been directed to close until the MCO is lifted.
7. However, our online shop is still operational, and we are working hard (in spite of the circumstances) to bring you new terrapin-inspired merchandise. Check out with the code “STAYHOME” to enjoy a 10% discount on all our merchandise. Valid through the MCO.
8. You can also help us by making a tax-deductible occurring donation to support our conservation efforts. No amount is too little, and your financial support is greatly appreciated.
Here’s how you can help:
Help buy a bag of pellets
Each 20 kg bag of pellets costs RM70, and with 700+ terrapins, we finish a bag in about 7-10 days. That means we’ll need to generate RM300 a month for terrapin feed.
Shop with us
Each time you shop with us, you will be directly empowering the ladies in the local communities to continue earning an income to support their families.
Adopt a terrapin
Each symbolic terrapin adoption costs only RM35, and it will help us sustain the conservation project. From this RM35, RM5/egg is paid out as an incentive to our project assistants, and RM30 will be spent on purchasing a microchip for individual terrapin identification.